Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pancake day

     In several cultures, today is known as pancake day. Others call it marti gras or fat tuesday. I'm not any form of christian or catholic so the 'using up' of fatty foods before lent isn't a big deal to me. However I've never been one to pass up an excuse for pancakes!

     This was my second attempt at these almond-butter pancakes from Nourished Meadow.  The first time I melted the butter, mixed that into the egg and then added the almond butter.  I really wasn't able to get it properly mixed and ended up with eggy crepes with chunks of almond butter floating in them.  This time I mixed the butter and almond butter and then warmed them both before adding the egg.  I got a cohesive if runny batter and MUCH improved pancakes. I topped them with Kerrygold butter and really enjoyed them, The original recipe is at the link above, here's the version as I made it.  

Almond Butter Pancakes Recipe:
(makes 1 small serving)
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter/coconut oil melted
1 tablespoon Almond Butter (unsweetened)
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
Beat melted butter/oil with warmed almond butter, beat in egg and combine remaining ingredients until smooth (may take a bit of blending to get almond butter to incorporate). If the batter is too runny, add a bit more almond butter.
Pour on pre-heated, lightly buttered, non stick pan (medium to med high heat…if pancakes spread too thin, you need to turn heat up). Make smaller size pancakes in order to flip easily.
When pancake just starts to have small bubbles all the way to center, gently work spatula around all edges, flip and cook for about one minute more. Pancakes get very puffy after the flip, but they'll fall a bit when you take them off the griddle.  
Top with butter or your favorite pancake topping (berries, bananas, nuts, honey, maple syrup)


ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment